Saturday, September 1, 2007

What's wrong with that horse

Thursday evening after picking up my load of people for church, I was driving on one of our Enchanted roads when I noticed a horse lying out in the field. Out here, it is mostly open range, that means visitors of all kinds, sheep, goats, cows, and horses, yes and snakes. Seeing it out there, I commented and Loretta, a student's mother, said, "Yes, I saw it out there about 3:30. I wonder whats wrong with it." As we were passing by I noticed every once in a while that it would try to get up. It was a young stud I had seen around all summer and I thought it might have been too close to a herd of mares and had gotten the worst end of the deal, or had it entangled itself in some loose barbed wire, or stepped into a hole. After service and taking everyone home I drove over to it and looked it over. I could see no obvious reasons for its predicament. Asking the neighbors for a phone # for the Tribal Rangers (Livestock inspectors) I told them about the horse. They had called Poncho, a man who they thought the horse belonged to and started looking for it. We went out to it and Poncho said he has colic and thought we were too late to help it any. After trying to locate the owner, he decided to try and save it. Our neighbor said give it some coke. Poncho went to his truck and pulled out some beer. He took a stick and forced the horse's mouth open and poured it down its mouth so it would have to drink it. Then we put a rope around it and helped it up on its feet. The three of us chased that horse in circles for quite a while. Keep it moving, keep it moving! Don't let him cramp up! After a while it relieved itself. It then stood there shaking and quivering all over. Later we tried to get it in a corral and it took off running. It must have been feeling pretty good. By this time it was close to Midnight. Another one of those unexpected duties of a Missionary. It wasn't the first call of the week, to go out "after hours" for duty.
Seth

3 comments:

Carrie said...

You can now add "veterinarian" to your missionary title! :)

The Yates said...

He has lots of experience in this area, especially if its a job no one else wants to or will do,:) such as sticking their hand inside the back of a cow to find the leg of a calf and help with a still born delivery. He gets calls at all hours, he even thought of trying to get some vet training.
Mel

Anonymous said...

Mel,

Great blog, I've visited it a few times. I is so good to be able to keep up to date with what is going on in your lives. Looks like you could use the whole youth group to do those peaches - ha, ha! It would probably be easier to do them with a few adults. Keep encouraged and I'll drop you an anonymous line from time to time.

Love,

Carol