Saturday, September 22, 2007

Enchanting Scenes

We live in the desert, right? Right! Just sand, snake and bugs, right? Wrong! There are a number of things that have real beauty. An earlier post showed the sunset as it progressed. Recently I have been amazed again at some of the beauty even in some of the undesirables. You probably have heard of someone painting dried tumbleweeds and even marketing them. I have even fallen in one when I was younger and "oh the stickers". I've taken stickers out a week later. Did you know those nasty, prickly weeds have a flower? Well, they do as you can see in this picture. Notice the delicate petals and color. I wonder what this plant was like before the Fall of Man?

Then toward the end of August and into September you see these flowers pop up. I've seen quite a plot of these along the highway and then I've seen these in individual plants. I've often wondered what they were. After doing a search I found a name "Aster tanacetifolius" "Tahoka Daisy" or "Prairie Aster." I'm going to try to get some more pictures and post them later.

People often have a mindset that tells them that the desert is dry, barren, and empty. There are probably some that are, but most deserts have an amazing ecosystem thriving in them if you will take the time to find it.

Seth

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Melodie! You have been "tagged" to list 7 random things about yourself. Hope you are doing well!

The Dickinsons said...

I think your desert is beautiful! Some people feel the same way about Phoenix, AZ, but WE LOVE IT THERE and have great memories of our 5 years there.

God bless y'all,
Heather in Colombia =)

Sarah Cook said...

Very pretty!